Re: [IP] frozen...

I'm having sympathy pains just reading your note -- I've had this happen twice
(separated by about 15 years), once in each shoulder.  What helped me the most
was heat.  Elasto-gel makes a flexible pad that velcros around your shoulder
and can be heated in the microwave or the oven (oven takes longer).  It stays
warm for 20-30 min, and gave me the same sort of relief that the heat
 treatments in physical therapy give. I also think that heat before and after a
 bout of exercises to loosen up your joint helps make the exercise at least more
effective, if still painful.

 Another thing (cheaper than the above) that helps is to fill a cotton sock with
dry regular rice so it's about 1/2 to 3/4 full, and sew or tie it shut.  This
 can be heated in the microwave FOR NO MORE THAN 2-3 MIN, and then draped around
the affected shoulder -- it stays warm almost as long as the gel pad and is
flexible enough to really get the heat where the pain is.  (the reason for the
 Caps is that rice will burn (as in, scorch the sock fabric, and for all I know,
burst into flames) if heated too long in a microwave.)

It isn't recommended to apply heat when you are in bed and going to sleep, but
right before bed helped me sleep better at night.  Also, a pillow to kind of
prop up my 'bad' arm helped me move less in my sleep, so I didn't ouch myself
awake so often.

I was told that this usually happens when a shoulder (or other joint) gets
 injured, and hurts when you move it. You unconciously move it less in order to
keep it from hurting, and you gradually lose mobility because the joint isn't
being used.  What I do now is do my PT exercises regularly (once or twice a
 week) to make sure that what didn't hurt when I finished physical therapy still
doesn't hurt.

Why it happens more commonly to diabetics is a mystery to me.  Just one of D's
little delights, I guess :)

Hope some of this helps,