[IP] infected finger?

Has anyone ever gotten an infection where you prick your fingers?  My 9-yr
old daughter has a large blister like thing on the side of her middle finger
(right where you would prick).  It looks like a burn, the finger is red and
warm, and painful.  We have a Dr's appointment in the morning.  It suddenly
appeared last night, and has gotten larger.  We change the lancet about once
a week...more often than many of you from what I gather.  What do you think?

Mary, Kelly's mom