No Subject

"If my bg is ok, and I am showing ketones, I don't worry. I know it is not

This is a very misleading, very dangerous misstatement.  Ketosis is NOT a
natural condition.  It may occur as part of the body's emergency back up
system of burning fat when carb and/or insulin is not available, but it is
not an efficient or desirable situation from a physiologic
standpoint.  Further, ketoacidosis can be present and serious even when the
bg is normal or even low.  It's related to the balance of body salts
(electrolytes) and blood gases.  When those are even slightly out of sync
there can be severe problems with many body systems, including brain,
heart, kidneys, etc.  No way to tell the  degree of ketoacidosis based on
blood sugar alone.  It's true that ketoacidosis with high blood sugar
is  even more dangerous, as significant brain swelling may be
associated.  That swelling is the most common cause of death in
DKA..  Water AND INSULIN are the main treatments for ketoacidosis, but they
must be given with a full understanding of all the biochemical changes
going on.  That can only be determined by frequent lab tests of blood chemisty.

Mother of a 17 year old, diagnosed at age 2 months