[IP] Re: NPH - one shsot a day

> I was diagnosed with diabetes 49 3/4 years ago.  Had I had recorded in a
> book all the changes in types of insulin's and the various different
dosages I
> have had to use  the book would be full.
>       The only time that came close to having serious problems was when I
> on only one shot of NPH each day.
>  A lot of diabetics died early from because they developed diabetes after
> came out in the late 1930's and they were put on the one shot per day.

NPH was developed in 1950 - the year I was dx'd. I was immediately put on
NPH mixed with Regular. As I have written in my diary, I got 10u NPH mixed
with 2u of Reg. I used a mix of the two until I went on a pump in 1983.

We had a thread through here a year or so ago about people not knowing about
using Regular back then, but Regular has always been around when it was
jusst *insulin* before they started using additives and making them
Protamine Zinc, NPH, etc. to lengthen their effectiveness - then *plain
insulin* was named Regular. Why their drs didn't use Reg, is beyond me -
sorta like docs not using pumps today.

Regular naps prevent old age.....especially if you take them while driving.