Re: [IP] exercise and hypos and hypers

email @ redacted writes:

<< i have been on the pump since october and having big problems with
 i like to do one and a half hours in the gym in the afternoon (4 o clock to
 6 o clock). I do a 45 minute run then cycle,rowing etc.I turn my basal down
 from 0.9 to 0.4 about one and a half hours before the exercise and i have a
 20 carb snack prior to exercise.i take my pump off for 1 hour 9whilst
 running). however, before the end of the run i normally go into a hypo and
 have to stop exercise. if i reduce basal earlier then i go too high before
 exercise and feel sick. sometimes i dont go low and can keep exercising.then
 one hour after exercise ,my blood sugar rises from 5-14 and stays high for
 about 4 hours. i done know what to do. i usually end up giving maybe a bolus
 of 2 and increasing basal to 1.2.then about 6 hours post exerccise i have to
 reduce basal again to 0.7 to staop going hypo although i oftern do wake up
 the next morning with a hypo which then sends me into a high for another
 couple of hours.i reaaly am stuck for ideas and my nurse or consultant say
 to just do lots of blood tests. is it the hypo that sends me high or my body
 kicking out sugar post exercise and what can i do.any ideas gratefully
 received.also when i have a lo i sometimes disconnect for 30 minutes and
 then go high after, should i keep the pump on? amanda
Why don't you try sipping on something like Gatorade while you are exercising
or consume 10-20 g or carbs every 30 minutes.   Afterwards you may want to
reduce your basal rate for the same amount of time that you exercised.  This
has worked for my son.  In addition, if you eat a meal afterwards, you may
not need to bolus as much insulin as you normally would.