[IP] RE: insulin-pumpers-digest V6 #427

Just clarification:

I've done some homework on HIPPA.  It's the Health Insurance Portability &
Accountability Act that Clinton got passed.  It's a good thing, but it's
still far from perfect. It has limits to pre-existing conditions, but they
are still allowed.  Just the passing of HIPAA caused many, but not all,
employers to ditch their pre-ex limitations.  For those plans that require
pre-ex, a Certificate of Coverage (provided by a prior carrier or employer)
reduces or eliminates the pre-ex requirement.  A 63-day break in coverage
means you can be subject to pre-ex.

If it were me losing coverage (I hope I'm not jinxing myself), I'd be paying
for COBRA coverage just so I wouldn't have to worry about pre-ex
limitations.  (First, of course, I'd see if I could jump on my spouse's

If you exhaust COBRA coverge, there must be an individual product available
that will cover pre-ex (the govt says a product must be available.  What the
govt failed to regulate is the high cost and the reduced benefits offered by
the carrier/s).  These are called Individual HIPAA products.  The HIPAA plan
is available for individuals, but the requirement here usually is that you
exhaust COBRA before being allowed to purchase it.  (At least that's what
I've seen from past experience).