Re: [IP] yikes :-(

Hmm.. is that true that you can't be denied coverage for a pre-existing
I just got turned down from Kaiser June 18th. They sent a form letter that
really demonstrates that they did not consider anything. There were no facts
for them to even study. They "carefully considered" absolutely nothing  I gave
them no information whatsoever, except a form where I'd check off a box saying
I was diabetic. They don't even know what type I am, or what medications I
take. my last A1C...etc, so there was really nothing for them to "carefully
consider".  We were told that we could  write an appeal so we did.

This is part of the letter they sent in response to the appeal. So, maybe they
discriminate and actually allow you to purchase insurance with a pre-existing
condition but they make you pay more.

Thank you for submitting your Application for Reconsideration for membership in
Permanente's Personal Advantage plan. We regret to inform you that we are still
unable to offer you health care coverage through Personal Advantage at this

We have carefully reviewed your application along with the other information
you provided and have made our decision for the following reason(s):

Diabetes with use of medications

As an alternative, in cooperation with the State of California, Kaiser
Permanente does offer a
program for individuals who are unable to receive health coverage due to
pre-existing medical
conditions. If you would like information about this program, please call
1-800-289-6574. If your last form of health care coverage was through an
employer group, you may qualify for our HIPAA plan, KP HIP. {for which they
offer no explanation}

If you have completed the HIPAA Membership Eligibility information section on
the Membership Application for Personal Advantage, qualify for KP HIP ,
accepted the offer of guaranteed enrollment in KP HIP , and provided proof of
creditable coverage, your KP HHIP enrollment request is being processed and
should be completed within 10 days. If you did not complete this section on the
Membership Application for Personal Advantage, but would like more information
about KP HIP, please call our Member Service Call Center at 1-800-464-4000.

(Note: If you are a current Kaiser Permanente member, you may maintain coverage
under your current plan unless you have been notified otherwise. Please
continue to make your payments at the same rate you pay now.)

Again, we regret that we are not able to approve your Personal Advantage
Application for
Reconsideration. If you have any questions about this letter, please call our
Member Service Call Center at 1-800-464-4000.

Thank you for considering Kaiser Permanente for your health care needs.
Kaiser Permanente
Walnut Center
Pasadena, CA 91188