[IP] Gram scales

Sara was able to get great control by reading labels, using the quantities in
the exchange book and by estimating when she was younger. As she approached
the teen years this began to be ineffective. Now that we are in the totally
tumultuous teens everything is weighed. I rarely use measurements unless it is
teaspoon and tablespoon. The difference in our ability to control post meal BG
is unquestionably the direct result of weighing for us.
Every type of rice is not equal in weight. The differences in different types
of breads are significant.
The differences in terms of amounts are not great often,  but if you are in a
position where tight control is difficult the scales make all the difference.
We also weigh proteins by the ounce and calculate how these will effect BG.
You may not need this type of tight control over the grams of carb. per meal,
but if you do I consider the scale as necessary to good control as the meter.
Pam, mom to Sara 16.