[IP] Free Meters

I think that I may have simply worn out my meter and am looking at getting a
new one.

My question is this - while I was scanning topics here on meters, I saw one
post that basically said "call the company that makes the meter that you
want, they make enough money off the strips, they'll send you the meter for
free" (I apologize if I'm mis-quoting someone).  Has anyone here ever done
this and pulled it off?  Details please!

Don't let the space for what you always wanted
Be filled by what you've settled for instead.