Re: [IP] Type 1 vs type 2 and Hep-C

I went to my new endo yesterday, and lo and behold, he thinks I have Type 1.5. This
wowould explain: 1. why I used to respond to oral hypoglemics, but they became
ineffective 2. I don't meet all of the typical profile of Type II's (high chol.,
high bblood pressure) but I did manage to go into ketoacidosis.  It's been a real
trip learning about this type through web-cruising, and I suggest that those who
want to know more about it simply type in "Diabetes 1.5"  onto the Google search
engine's search window. It makes a difference because the treatment protocols are
different.

Also, my creatinine levels are through the roof, but this new endo says that there's
the possibility that this is NOT diabetes related, since, at my current levels, he'd
expect that I'd have other damage, which I do not...and further testing is needed to
explain whether the creatinine levels are due to the Hep-C virus (this the first
I've heard of this in my ten years of DII and Hep C treatment!). There are diffenent
treatment protocols for elevated creatinine levels due to Hep-C, as vs. diabetes.

I've always thought it unfortunate that "diabetes" is the name given to disease
processes which have vastly different causes ( ironically, the same is true for the
various forms of hepatitis!). It contributes to a lot of misunderstanding. Now, with
this new diagnosis, it feels to me like whole new ballgame (not necessarily a better
ballgame, but one with different rules).

 Jan and Elvis