[IP] pump problems

 I've had my Animas R1000 since early April, 2002.  In mid May, I began
> having trouble priming -- insulin would simply not flow, no matter how
> long I waited.  I could hear the motor running for a short time, then
> stop and not start again.  This problem was sporadic, and when it
> occurred I could sometimes work around it by manually pushing insulin
> through the tubing and then re-priming.  Twice, I could not get it to
> prime at all, and called Animas.  In each instance, putting in new
> batteries solved the problem.  However, in both instances the batteries
> were less than a month old and I never had a low battery alert.
> After the second episode, Animas sent a replacement pump overnight.  The
> replacement is slightly different from my original, and includes two
> changes to priming.  First, the priming motor is more powerful; second,
> a tone sounds intermittently during priming (my original pump sounded
> the tone continuously during priming).  Since then I have had no trouble
> at all.
> My off-the-cuff explanation is that earlier Animas pumps were not tested
> sufficiently at elevations near sea level (I live near Los Angeles).
> Since priming involves detecting pressure against the syringe plunger,
> the greater air pressure near sea level may have caused the pump to
> determine, incorrectly, that it had primed successfully.
> In any case, if you're having problems priming your Animas, and you have
> a GREEN (not a WHITE) backlight on your display, you may have a pump
> with the weaker priming motor.  I'd recommend having Animas replace it.
> - --
> - - Pete Tinker
>   HRL Labs
Frazer, the Animas Pump Co.'s lcation is a few miles from Philadelphia, on
the Main Line, Altitude 20 feet above sea level,If you are a guest (not a
passenger) on Amtrak going west from Philly you'll roar thru it at about 60
mph. The only other places around here lower are atlantic city, elevation at
sealevel and most of the NJ coast. Even the Mountains in Pennsylvania are
not very high. the roads are trecherous.

A. L. Bender, M. D.,pHD