Re: [IP] T-2 DM

At 07:34 AM 6/26/02 -0500, you wrote:
 >DM = diabetes mellitus and IDDM = insulin dependent diabetes mellitus.
 >*IDDM* is Type 1 even though many T-2's may require insulin - *DM*
 >basically* is Type 2 although we mostly shorten the letters on this list to
 >DM to conserve space.

Actually, DM is all of us (Diabetes Mellitus), IDDM has been used for Type
1s (insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus), who always depend on insulin, and
NIDDM has been used for Type 2s (non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus)
whether they depend on insulin or not.

These categories focus on treatment rather than origin, so I believe that
as we learn more about the origin of the diseases they will quickly become

As of today an autoimmune-mediated diabetic