Re: [IP] T-2 DM

At 07:34 AM 6/26/02 -0500, you wrote:
 >Subject: Re: [IP] Insurance and your rights
 >From: Liz Davis <email @ redacted>
 >Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 22:20:22 -0700

 >origin.  It's probably no more than a catch-all for a bunch of different
 >syndromes, lumped together because they all have similar symptoms but
 >no-one's been able to determine how they differ in origin yet--kind of like
 >diabetes mellitus. <snip> >>>
 >
 >The above article (in it's entirety) is a wonderful work, but that last
 >statement *kind of like diabetes mellitus* - doesn't make sense, at least to
 >me. DM = diabetes mellitus and IDDM = insulin dependent diabetes mellitus.
 >*IDDM* is Type 1 even though many T-2's may require insulin - *DM*
 >basically* is Type 2 although we mostly shorten the letters on this list to
 >DM to conserve space.

My point was that the term Diabetes Mellitus itself is a catch all for a
bunch of different diseases or syndromes, lumped together because they all
have similar symptoms. As we've learned more about them we've classified
them as type 1, type 2, type 1-1/2, LADA, MODY, and what have you.

My hunch is that type 2 will soon be subclassified in the same way, further
adding to the confusion.

Does that clarify?

Liz
Who since her diagnosis 32 years ago has had Juvenile Onset, Insulin
Dependent, Type I (with a roman numeral), Type 1 (with an arabic numeral),
and Autoimmune-Mediated Diabetes.  A rose by any other name would smell as
sweet.