Re: [IP] T-2 DM

At 07:34 AM 6/26/02 -0500, you wrote:
 >Subject: Re: [IP] Insurance and your rights
 >From: Liz Davis <email @ redacted>
 >Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 22:20:22 -0700
 >origin.  It's probably no more than a catch-all for a bunch of different
 >syndromes, lumped together because they all have similar symptoms but
 >no-one's been able to determine how they differ in origin yet--kind of like
 >diabetes mellitus. <snip> >>>
 >The above article (in it's entirety) is a wonderful work, but that last
 >statement *kind of like diabetes mellitus* - doesn't make sense, at least to
 >me. DM = diabetes mellitus and IDDM = insulin dependent diabetes mellitus.
 >*IDDM* is Type 1 even though many T-2's may require insulin - *DM*
 >basically* is Type 2 although we mostly shorten the letters on this list to
 >DM to conserve space.

My point was that the term Diabetes Mellitus itself is a catch all for a
bunch of different diseases or syndromes, lumped together because they all
have similar symptoms. As we've learned more about them we've classified
them as type 1, type 2, type 1-1/2, LADA, MODY, and what have you.

My hunch is that type 2 will soon be subclassified in the same way, further
adding to the confusion.

Does that clarify?

Who since her diagnosis 32 years ago has had Juvenile Onset, Insulin
Dependent, Type I (with a roman numeral), Type 1 (with an arabic numeral),
and Autoimmune-Mediated Diabetes.  A rose by any other name would smell as