Re: [IP] Re: Glucowatch Experience

> >I find the watch fine when it is working well, I feel that for the money,
> >it is poorly constructed, the buttons which should be sealed to protect
> >from water damage are apt to get stuck onder the case when pressed.
> I haven't had any trouble with the buttons getting stuck under the case.
> fact, I just tried to do that - and had to work pretty hard to push down a
> button with something small enough, at an angle, to get it stuck.  Just
> pushing the buttons with the pads on my fingers has led to no trouble for
> me.

I also have not had this problem. The buttons seem to work fine on my
GlucoWatch with no issue that I have noticed.

> Sealing the buttons on top would be no means make the Glucowatch
> or even water resistant.  With this watch there would be a HUGE obstacle
> overcome in this matter - the whole method of operation for this watch has
> to deal (basically) with using electric current (from a AAA battery) to
> fluid from the skin to react with the gel in the AutoSensor.  Add water to
> that computation and it becomes a three ring circus.  Water and
> usually ends up being a bad combination when you add in the human contact
> component.

Yeap. This device is clearly not suitable for water contact.

> >I use it overnight as well, this means starting the warm up period around
> >6PM I cnnot use it at work as I am always working with wet stuff. it does
> >feel wierd but its not unbearable.

Yes the sensation when the device is collecting fluid (ON indicator
flashing) is definetely noticable some of the time.

> The next release of the watch is supposed to have the warm-up time
> to two hours, a substantial improvement.

Where are you guys getting this information? I've recently looked at
www.glucowatch.com but have not found anyting about the next version.

> >if you put it on over broken skin it gives the wrong readings and makes a
> >mess out of the area.

I've never tried this but I'm sure  it would agravate any open wound. It
certainly irritates my intact skin.

> Question here...  Did you read the manual or watch the video that
> accompanied the watch AT ALL?  Page 3.5 of the manual has a entire section
> in that is highlighted and bold blue lettering:
> ---------------------------------------
> TIP:  To ensure firm contact between your skin and the Glucowatch
> Biographer, your skin must be:
> - Unbroken--no cuts, scrapes, sunburn, or razor burn
> - Clean and dry--no lotions, perfumes, or medications
> - Free of excess hair--important for firm contact of AutoSensor with skin
> ---------------------------------------
> If you're a Doctor, you're scaring me... none of my Docs would even try
> or suggest this to any of their patients.  Try a little tequila to wash
> that codeine next time (never mind the warning label on the Rx bottle).
> >The software is not able to run under a windows NT development
> >environment.
> The software is flaky and not designed well in my opinion.  I'm having
> problems with the cradle right now also.  I've tried it on two separate
> computers and it's not working on either all of the sudden.  I'll end up
> having to get a replacement or sending it back.
> >It also doesn't run under WinXP.

The software has worked OK for me on a Windows XP machine. However with that
being said I find it almost useless. There is no obvious way to export the
data. In other words you either do the analysis the way they want to or you
don't use the software. Bleagh!!!