[IP] T-2 DM

Subject: Re: [IP] Insurance and your rights
From: Liz Davis <email @ redacted>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 22:20:22 -0700

>>>Type 2 diabetes is a disorder of complex and poorly understood
origin.  It's probably no more than a catch-all for a bunch of different
syndromes, lumped together because they all have similar symptoms but
no-one's been able to determine how they differ in origin yet--kind of like
diabetes mellitus. <snip> >>>

The above article (in it's entirety) is a wonderful work, but that last
statement *kind of like diabetes mellitus* - doesn't make sense, at least to
me. DM = diabetes mellitus and IDDM = insulin dependent diabetes mellitus.
*IDDM* is Type 1 even though many T-2's may require insulin - *DM*
basically* is Type 2 although we mostly shorten the letters on this list to
DM to conserve space.

The dictionary says: Diabetes Mellitus: Literally *honey-sweet diabetes* a
variable disorder of carbohydrate metabolism caused by a combination of
hereditary and environmental factors and usually characterized by inadequate
secretion or utilization of insulin, by excessive urine production, by
excessive amounts of sugar in the blood and urine, and by thirst, hunger,
and loss of weight.

Therefore, *kind of like diabetes mellitus* is confusing to me. Am I missing
something I should have seen? Care to elaborate? (~_^)

Sometimes I think I understand everything, then I regain consciousness