Re: [IP] Thoughts on various topics

   You're on a roll!! Yet another excellent post that I have to echo. Not
only are these kids incredibly resilient in adapting to "change" ( as opposed
to adults) but in light of this quote from an Italian researcher
     however, the permanent threat of severe vascular organ disease within
one or two decades, of early invalidity and limited life expectancy following
long-term poor metabolic regulation (which is known to the health
professional but only incompletely sensed by the young patient), forces the
pediatrician to try to reach from the start the aim of normoglycemia instead
of merely somewhat reduced hyperglycemia, normal lipid and amino acid
patterns and near normal fluctuations of all metabolic parameters. With our
present means of intervention, this goal is achieved only temporarily, if at
all, necessitating immense permanent efforts by the patient and his or her
family, including a greater responsibility (compared to that of his/her
peers) for his/her everyday lifestyle  (the bold italics are mine)

, it behooves everyone to NOT accept equally outmoded thinking from docs who
say to parents pf pre-adolescents or teens" Oh an A1C of 9 or 10 is probably
as good as it gets with kids that age". Given the advent of pump therapy,
that kind of care of unconscienable, IF the family is seeking a better way to
handle their child's diabetes care. Yet I continue to hear comments like that
repeated by parents who are "relived" to have had the doctor tell them
they're doing a
good job". No one knows better than we pump parents how much diligence &
vigilance it takes to battle the Dia-BEAST-ie, but by being as proactive, we
also see far better results.
   Melissa wanted to start pumping 7 years ago at age 12, but it was MY
reluctance to "let go" that procrastinated another 6 months until she was 13.
Her pre-pump A1C of 8.8 and her post-pump A1C six months later of 6.8
convinced me I should have listened to my child!!
Renee (Melissa's pump mom)