[IP] Thoughts on various topics

So many of you have had problems with your pharmacy and the quantity of
insulin/strips allowed. We had one pharmacy that was the same...they were tied
to the hip with the insurance company.
A CVS was built close to our home and we started going there instead of
Sara uses lots of strips because of the swimming. The insurance did not want
to cover the larger number we use. The pharmacist called the insurance company
for me and explained the situation and got them to approve the larger amount
than they deemed necessary. By the way, they thought 4 checks a day was
adequate. This pharmacist also got them to approve our insulin in one month
supplies as opposed to weekly.
There are great pharmacists out there, and thank you to all the good ones.

Second, to the person who wrote that kids should not be on a pump. I am very
sorry to criticize but you were way off base on every point. As a nurse I can
say with 100% assurance that any child on an insulin pump will have
significantly fewer long term complications than those using MDI. The
emotional benefits on a day to day basis alone make it worth the investment.
You stated you were on a pump once, went off and are returning again. Could
your negative view point be that your experience was not very good.
We all know the pump requires a much higher degree of commitment than shots
due to the increased number of pieces parts ( a highly technical term )
associated with a pump as opposed to a single needle.
But, wouldn't any parent be prepared to devote themselves to the time and
energy required for a "pumper's life" if it would assure their child an
opportunity to lead a more normal life and longer healthier life.
Sara would not have achieved the goals she has in the past four years without
the pump and her goals for high school would be completely and utterly out of
reach if still on MDI.
As a nurse I can say that I continually found juvenile patients to be much
more capable of accepting and instituting life style changes that a medical
problem necessitated than adults. Adults resist because they hate to give up
any smidge of freedom in their day to day lives. (Can't say I would be any
better.) But kids seem to go with the flow more. Their whole life is based on
going with the flow of the adults around them all ready.
So, don't underestimate these kids, ever. Remember, they will be in charge of
your social security one day.
Pam, mom to Sara, who would have put her on a pump years earlier if it had
been available to us.