[IP] Re: to Lisa Lyman re: Kids and pumps

Being diagnosed at the age of 12, and being on a pump from the age of 18
until I was 22, and now again starting the pump at age 38, I am not a big
advocate of kids using an insulin pump.  In my opinion, and not as a judgment
towards the parents of those kids using them, or the amazing kids who have
mastered them, young children may be better off in the short run with
injections Vs a pump.  Why??  Limited pump infusion sites on a young person's
body compared to the vast sites available for insulin injections.  With the
number of devices now, ranging from short needles, to auto syringe injectors,
the trauma of insulin injections, compared to what a lot of us went through
as kids, is a lot less these days.  Not easy, but easier. Imagine your child
taking one HUGE shot of cold beef Lente a day, swelling his skin, and peeing
on test tape all day to see how he's doing?  Ugggghhhhh!!  Of course a pump
then would have been a godsend.  But for many of us, those days are forever
gone!   With the advent of Lantus, and Humalog, and Novalog, tight control
can be achieved with multiple injections vs the burdens of the pump on a
child.  At 38, my lifestyle is better suited for one than as a young child.
But as a kid, I would never have used one. (mute point since they were not
around (-:  But this is just me and I'm sure the kids on pumps these days can
give you some additional insight as to the positives of pumping.  They are
living examples and I can only imagine what it would be like as a kid.  My
points can be read as Retrospect, Monday Morning quarterbacking........etc.
Good for you to explore options for your son.  Parent's attitudes of
diabetics are just as important to their control as is insulin.  My Mom was
President of the Colorado ADA for years and I was very active at camps
etc....... 26 years later, I have minimal complications and a great quality
of life.   It could have been a lot different if my Mom always accepted what
others told her were the best ways to control my disease or if I choose to
take the easy route.  But don't be fooled.  Either way, multiple injections
and/or pumps are a lot of work, but well worth it! God bless and GL!!!

Bryon Veal