[IP] Type 1 Vs. Type 2

> Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2002 16:18:31 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Karen Gershanov <email @ redacted>
> Subject: [IP] Type 1 Vs. Type 2
> What testing would have been done to ascertain that this is indeed Type I, and not
> Type II?  Can you have both?

That's done with a C-peptide test. The normal range is 0.6 to 3.2. If you're below 0.6 you're Type I. If you're in or above the normal range you're Type II. Diabetics who have low insulin production but more than 0.6 are Type II. People (like me) who have normal insulin production but high insulin resistance are also Type II. It's possible to have both low insulin production and high insulin resistance at the same time.

> Are the treatment approaches different?

Type I always has to be treated with insulin. Type II is harder to define than Type I and there are a variety of ways to treat it.

> Is ketoacidosis always and only a sign of Type I?

All I know is I've been in acidosis bad enough to be hospitalized for a week, twice. And I'm a Type II. I found this out within the last two weeks after 32 years of thinking I was a Type I. It was the C-peptide test that brought this out.

Fred G.