[IP] Independence

Independence fluctuates with teens just as every other aspect of their daily
lives fluctuates from day to day.
We sent Sara to a science/math camp and a volley ball camp when she was 10 and
still on shots. She handled everything great.
When she was 14 she wanted to go with a program that would allow her to swim
in Australia for a month. We vetoed that idea. (Sara is still mad about that
one.) But the time involved and the distance were greater. Sara had also hit
the stage where her BG were fluctuating without reason more often, typical for
a teen.
Next summer she wants to go to South Africa to visit a very good friend. My
concern, Sara flying half way around the world alone. I have no idea how I a
going to decide on this one. Time will tell.
We are actually more involved now than those early years due to the
unpredictable aspects of a teen's Diabetes. We have also found that the older
and the higher the athletic goals are the more energy that has to be expended
by all of us to help her maintain a healthy level for training purposes.
It seems the cutting loose is a fluid state with kids. Each endeavor has to be
judged on its merit and the level of care your daughter needs at that
particular time with that activity.
Imagine them moving away to college, or the first time they want to live all
alone...no roommate hanging in the wings.
The one definite answer is that without letting them fly alone when the times
are right then they will not grow to be the independent, confident adults we
hope they become.
It was great for Jenna to go away and depend on herself for a week. Hope she
continues to push her comfort zones and succeeds.
Pam, mom to Sara.....getting ready to get her learners permit to drive....