[IP] RE: Breakfast cereals was Stressed and Confused

Hello Group--

I have to disagree with Michael here.  I eat a lot of cereal almost every
morning, have been since I was a child.
I find Cheerios to be about the best to maintain a decent sugar level 2-3
hours later.  Eating sugar coated cereal leads me down the path of very high
bg's by 10:00a. with an extremely quick digestion rate.  I do bolus more
than normal to account for the extra simple sugars if I do go the with the
*Frosted Flakes* vs. Cheerios but then becomes a guessing game.
Maybe Cheerios is a high glycemic food to some people but I find it the best
all around breakfast cereal with Rice Crispies coming 2nd. ( Gotta add the
fruit! )

Mark Capozzoli

> hello all...
> i just started on my paradigm pump two weeks ago. things have been
> going ok... but today i feel completely out of control.
> i went to bed two hours after changing my infusion site and had a
> b.s. of 86. today, i woke up at 177-- higher than i've ever been in
> the morning. i corrected and bolused for my breakfast-- (a bowl of
> cheerios with milk and sugar free hot chocolate.)

Cherrios are a high glycemic food. The glucose goes in very fast.
You'd be better of with "junk" cereal that uses sweetners that must
be digested to release the glucose -- they have a lower glycemic
index and match the insulin release curve better.  .... or butter
your toast :-)   to delay the  ingestion of the glucose in the
cereal, put honey on your cereal, anything to better balance the
glycemic index of the foods you eat in the morning.

BTW, don't be stressed, you will get the hang of it sooner than you