Re: [IP] Emotional Stress & Insulin Requirements

Since Sat. I have been bed side
of a close relative whos Cancer treatments took a drastic turn & my emotions
& sleep etc have been a roller coaster. I have had some of  the high sugar
readings I have ever had. The past 3 morning I awoke to reading over 300 &
injected by needle & need further corrections to lower my extreme highs!!

Jason, we went through what you are going through back in December
when my mother was loosing her battle with cancer.    The stress
my son felt over this, plus the stress he felt about my stress really
did numbers on his blood sugars.

This pattern was observed again this Spring when he was suffering
from "School Nurse Phobia".   He didn't want to go to school
and if we told him the night before he had to go for at least
one class, then he would wake up in the 300-400s and stay
high all day regardless of how much insulin we did.   This pattern
would continue until out of desperation we'd finally tell him
that we'd stay home the rest of the week and try again next
week---within 4-6 hours he'd drop from the high 300s to 120
WITHOUT correction boluses!  (We learned to not give them
when we were de-stressing him because otherwise he would
really crash on us.)

Try your best to relax, take deep cleansing breaths, and don't
over-stress yourself re: the need for extra insulin.   When things
return to normal, so will your daily doses.   God Bless.

Barbara A. Petzoldt - Pump Mama to Zachary (12)
Fenton, MO
email @ redacted     OR     email @ redacted