Re: [IP] dress and pump?

In a message dated 6/19/2002 1:08:11 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> Actually, if you could get a hold of Nicole Johnson, she talked about that.
>  believe she is on this list but I don't know if she reads it. When she was
> Miss
>  America and had to do the walk on stage in a bathing suit, etc. , and I
> think she
>  said she wore her pump. "Tucked it" somewhere... gawd knows where... ;-)

She did disconnect for the swimsuit part of the competition, but did where it
for the rest of the competition including the evening gown.  In her latest
book, she mentions that while waiting backstage to go on her the evening
gown, Picabo Street (one of the judges) mouthed to her "Are you wearing it?"
Nicole mouthed back "Yes." and when Picabo mouthed "Where?!?" Nicole hiked up
her dress to show her . . .

I always liked that story . . . and I'll always be thankful to Nicole Johnson
for making Diabetes awareness her platform at the Miss America Pageant and
for being so open about her pump.  It was thanks to her that my daughter was
diagnosed very early and that I knew about the existence of insulin pumps --
and enough about the potential benefits so that when the doc was so
discouraging about them at Dx, I went out on my own and found IP and some
other great web sites that helped me learn the other side of the story (and
gave me the information and the inspiration necessary to battle the doc and
the insurance company and get Katie on a pump as soon as I could).

Pumpmama to Katie