[IP] Com-Station Collaboration Proposal

In a message I posted in March, I expressed interest in others'
experiences with the Minimed Com-Station:

In a message I posted in early April, I asked for help getting the
Minimed "Solutions Pumps & Meters" software:

With assistance from Minimed staff members on both sides of the
Atlantic (BTW, I live in France), I was able to purchase a Com-Station
with the latest version of the Pumps & Meters software (3.0A).

This message will summarize my experience with the Com-Station and the
software and will propose collaboration with other list members to
adapt the data analysis to patients' needs.

The Com-Station is a docking cradle for the model 507/507C/508 pumps
(and the CGMS) that allows pump (and CGMS) data to be downloaded to a
PC via IR. It also contains a straight-through serial connection for
download of data from glucose meters. The Com-Station hooks up to a
9-pin serial port on the PC and requires an AC power source. Glucose
meters can be plugged into a second 9-pin serial port. Only four
glucose meters are currently supported by the software: Accu-Chek
Advantage, Accu-Chek Complete ("Glucotrend Premium" in Europe), One
Touch II, and One Touch Profile. (FYI, the One Touch Ultra is _not_
currently supported.)

Minimed shows the Com-Station here:

The Pumps & Meters software is used to request downloads and display
the data. It's easy to install and is compatible with all 32-bit
Windows flavors starting with 98.

The Com-Station is only marketed to medical professionals and it is
designed expressly for their use: it is very simple, offers few
options, limits itself to reading data (nothing is ever written to the
pump or glucose meter), and restricts display and analysis to the
latest two weeks of data -- anything else is ignored and inaccessible.

There are four pump reports. Two are only for the pump: summary of
current pump settings and daily event log. Two other reports are
shared with the glucose meter: bolus/basal daily split vs. mean daily
bg and hourly insulin administration vs. bg readings.

There are five glucose meter reports: meter ID, log of daily meter
readings, two-week bg scatter diagram, and the two that are shared
with the pump (bolus/basal daily split vs. mean daily bg; hourly
insulin administration vs. bg readings).

After downloading, the data can be saved to read-only proprietary
files. The files can be reloaded into the program to view the reports
but the data cannot be saved in other formats for access by other

But there's much more under the hood.

The pump downloads *all* the data it contains to the Com-Station. Only
the latest two weeks of data are displayed, but the data files contain
the following information:

boluses          : 450 (roughly 3 months worth)
total daily dose : 90 days
button operations: last 200
alarm history    : unknown number, but no apparent age limit
primes           : last 50
current settings : everything

I've written a VBS script that uses ADODB to export all the pump data
from the data files either to an Excel 5.0 workbook or an Access 97
database. The data is thus fully available for analysis. Access
queries and macros have been prepared that transfer data to Excel for
charting. The charts currently produced include average daily bg and
total daily dose, average weekly bg and average weekly total daily
dose, and a double histogram of bg by result range (low, OK, hi, very
high) by time range (morning, afternoon, evening, night).

I would like to collaborate with one (or more) other IP list member(s)
to develop additional analytical techniques. We can start by producing
reports over longer time intervals. The data needs to be linked so the
reports can be generated over successive downloads. Script interfaces
can be written for data downloaded from other glucose meters. There's
a host of charting improvements to consider. SPC (Statistical Process
Control) can be applied to study the variation in the data. With
access to accurate insulin administration data and complete glucose
analysis results, we could attempt some interesting analytical feats
and test numerous hypotheses.

If you are a Com-Station owner and are interested in studying the
variations in the insulin that must be infused to maintain bg control,
please respond privately.

regards, Andy