[IP] Re: Post Meal BGs/Dosing

Donna wrote:

<<<To be at 140 mg/dL 2 hours after a meal, one would still
have 1/3 of their basal still working. For me, that means, in order not to
fall below 80, I could only have 0.6 units of residual insulin. That would
allow an original basal of 1.8 units. With my ratio of 17 grams of
carbohydrate per unit of insulin would equal only 30.6 grams of carbohydrate
for the meal. Not much of a meal! >>>

Sounds like a good calculation! but I have a question, trying to use this
formula for my own sensitivity, which is 1 unit for 25 mgdl, and for 7 grams
of carb, I can only spare 2.4 units of the insulin tail after 2 hours, which
means the initial bolus cannot be more than 7.2, which allows me to eat 50.4
grams of carb.  Does it make sense that being more insulin resistant than you
and I should tolerate more carbs? it should be the other way around, no?  We
must be missing something!

Another point figuring that the third of the bolus left after 2 hours (apprx.)
should only cover basal is not so accurate because some of the food has not
been fully digested, the 2 hour point is the highest peak of the food
digestion, but some is still left.

Rabbi Hirsch Meisels
Jewish Friends With Diabetes