[IP] Re: Paradigm + Water Ingress

Laura responded to Marion by saying:

----- Original Message -----
From: "Laura F." <email @ redacted>
To: <email @ redacted>
Sent: Monday, June 17, 2002 12:02 AM
Subject: [IP] Re: The Paradigm

> How could the battery cap being closed too *tightly* cause a leak?  That
> is scary, as you said.

It might have scary consequences, but the laws of physics - as applied to
o-rings - is not so scary.  In order to seal well, o-rings need to be
sufficiently and uniformly compressed, both across and around.
Overtightening something can promote uneven compression.  It might not take
much to cause a leak.  Water pressure builds dramatically with depth.

Am surprised MM customer service initially went after the battery, Marion,
since you saw water inside the pump at the display.  There's not much hope
of drying it out and reviving it.  Chlorinated pool water (and ocean salt
water) is electrically conductive (causing short circuits that can destroy
electronics) and are also corrosive.

Like you, Laura, I tend not to risk my $5,000+ medical device.