Re: [IP] paradigm "waterproof"

In a message dated 6/17/2002 2:59:46 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> ???? The Paradigm pump is advertised as "waterproof".  If it was not
>  waterproof, then I would have gotten a pump that was.  Gabe spends a lot
>  time in the water.

The Paradigm has an IPX8 watertightness rating. It has been tested for
watertightness for up to 30 minutes for up to a depth of 8 feet.

The Disetronic D-tron has an IPX7 rating -- meaning it means the IPX7
standard which I believe is 30 minutes at 3 feet.

The Animas R-1000 also has the IPX8 rating like the Paradigm -- but don't
take this to mean that Paradigm has been tested to the same standard as the
R-1000.  The IPX8 rating applies to any pump that has been tested to a
standard which exceeds the IPX7 standard.  Unlike the Paradigm, the Animas
pump watertightness testing was to a degree SUBSTANTIALLY greater than the
Paradigm:  A depth of 12 feet for 24 hours.  This was a major factor for us
in choosing the Animas pump for our daughter.  She spends a lot of time in
the water, especially in the summer.  The 12 foot depth was certainly
adequate but it was the 24 hour testing time that really meant a lot to me.
Pumps certified for watertightness for only 30 minutes seemed to  be a pretty
inadequate assurance IMO.
Pumpmama to Katie