[IP] Re: Post Meal BGs/Dosing

Tina first wondered why some pumpers were being told to check their BG at 45
min to 1 hour, which was followed by:

> When I was pregnant, I was supposed to be under 140 at one hour and under 120
> at two hours.  Now I understand that those were guidelines for pregnancy, but
> that was with regular insulin not the fast acting.  I think that it is the
> difference in the way the endo wants to monitor tighter control.

Lifescan's enews series (that any of you can sign up for) had in their March
02 issue the following:
When calibrated to DCCT standards, an HbA1c reading of 6.0 is considered to
be the upper limit of the "normal" range. For many years, the American
Diabetes Association has recommended that people with diabetes set
themselves a goal of keeping their HbA1c below 7.0.

This summer (2001), however, the American College of Endocrinology came out
with a new set of recommendations. Their most important suggestion? That you
set yourself a target of keeping your HbA1c below 6.5.

How do you achieve this more aggressive goal? By managing your blood sugar
more aggressively day-to-day. One thing that may help is measuring your
blood sugar levels two hours after eating on a regular basis - because these
"postprandial" (after eating) levels have a big impact on your HbA1c. The
new recommendations suggest trying to keep your 2-hour post-meal glucose
below 140 mg/dL.

How often should you get your HbA1c tested? The new recommendations say at
least twice a year if you are "on target" - and four times a year or more if
your HbA1c is over 6.5 or you are undergoing a change in treatment.

Of course, there are risks to controlling your diabetes aggressively. The
number one risk is an increase in hypoglycemia - episodes of low blood
sugar. But the American College of Endocrinology feels that the therapies
and monitoring devices available today allow you to control your blood sugar
more tightly with less risk of hypoglycemia.

Your HbA1c levels correlates very closely to your average blood glucose
level. Knowing this relationship can help you decide the kind of targets you
need to set for your home blood sugar tests to hit the HbA1c goal you're
going for. The chart below may help.

Everything happens twice. First on the inside, then on the outside. You must
create what you want inside of your heart and mind before you can hope to
see it in your world. - Iyanla Vanzant
Average Blood
Glucose Level
                4       Normal   (Non-diabetic)         60 mg/Dl
                5                                                   90 mg/Dl

                6                                                120 mg/Dl

                7                   Elevated                 150 mg/Dl
                8                                                 180 mg/Dl
                9                                                 210 mg/Dl
              10                                                 240 mg/Dl
              11         Seriously Elevated              270 mg/Dl
              12                                                  300 mg/Dl
This article from Diabetes Positive! magazine is provided as a service by
LifeScan. All materials are produced independently by Diabetes Positive!,
which is solely responsible for its content. Remember that the information
provided by this site is for general background purposes and is not intended
as a substitute for medical diagnosis or treatment by a trained
professional. You should always consult your own physician about any
healthcare questions you may have, especially before trying a new
medication, diet, fitness program, or approach to health care issues.

Article reprinted with permission from: Diabetes Positive! ) Copyright
November 2001