Re: [IP] Post Meal Dosing

I can only explain what I do, and I don't know if others would agree, but
here goes:  I am kind of new on the pump and I've been trying to figure out
how much insulin I need for different foods (the carb ratio thing just
doesn't work for me for different kinds of carbs).  I want to have my one
and two hour post meal blood sugars to be as close to (or below) 120 as
possible, so I do a lot of experimenting with foods.  So, I test at one hour
and at two hours after eating.  If my one hour number is high, I will
increase the amount of insulin in the normal bolus the next time I eat that
food.  And if it's over about 160, I'll correct as if I were trying to get
it down to 150, rather than my usual target of 100.  If the one hour number
is fine, but the two hour number is high, I will correct with a target of
100 and do a dual wave next time with the same amount that I used in the
normal part of the bolus and a guess at what I need to combat the two hour
blood sugar rise.  Obviously, the first few times you correct for a one hour
blood sugar, you should probably test your blood sugar again later to make
sure you haven't overshot the mark.  The more data you have, the better job
you'll be able to do next time.