[IP] Post Meal Dosing

Ok, I'm really confused, Can someone please explain this?
Ever since I was diagnosed 21 yrs ago, I was told not to check my blood sugars
for at least 2 hrs after consuming a meal.  I was told that the process you
body and the insulin has to go through, takes that 2 hrs (maybe more, if, you
have eaten a high fat meal, a slower digesting meal or have slow digestion
problems), If you check earlier than that, that you would get incorrect
readings because the insulin hasn't had time to get your sugars back to a
normal level. I have gone by that for all these yrs, including now that I'm on
the pump!
Here's where I'm confused, I have a web community for pumpers and a few of our
members have said that their Endo has them checking after 45 min to 1 hr and
making corrections at that time, because there are new findings out that say
that higher post meal sugars cause damage, these particle members are trying
to keep the post meal rise after 1 hr, to under 160.
My question is, if it takes the insulin 2 + hrs to "handle" a meal, then it is
still "working" at 45 min to 1 hr.  If you make a correct at that time, when
the insulin hasn't finished working yet, won't you have a lot of lows, mild or
severe, their still lows, isn't this a bad thing?  If this is the "new" way to
do things, then how do you know how much of a correction to make to lower the
sugars, but, avoid the lows, when you still have "working" insulin in your
system?
If anyone can logically explain this new way of thinking, it would be
appreciated.
Tina Robertson