Re: [IP] C-Peptide

C-peptide levels can indicate whether or not a person is producing insulin
and roughly how much.

Insulin is initially synthesized in the form of proinsulin.  In this form
the alpha and beta chains of active insulin are linked by a third
polypeptide chanin called c-peptide (connecting peptide).  Because both
insulin and c-peptide molecules are secreted, for every molecule of insulin
in the blood, there is one of c-peptide.  Therefore, the levels of c-peptide
in the blood can be measured and used as an indicator of insulin production
in the cases where exogenous insulin (from injection) is present and mixed
with endogenous insulin (that produced by the body) a situation that would
make meaningless a measurement of insulin itself.  The c-peptide test can
also be used to help assess if high blood glucose is due to reduced insulin
production or to reduced glucose intake by the cells (insulin resistance).

There is little or no c-peptide in the blood of type I diabetics, and
c-peptide levels in type II diabetics can be reduced or normal.  The
concentrations of c-peptide in non-diabetics are on the order of
0.5-3.0 ng/ml.  Type one diabetics are extremely low or not detectable.
Anything on the lower end of the scale around 1.0 on down is the average
range for type I diabetics.  Mine was non-detectable on the last test.  I
have been type I for twenty years and pumping for 18.

Just for knowledge....There were great studies in 1997 here in St. Louis at
Washington University School of Medicine by Dr. Julios Santiago and Neil
White on C-peptide.  It seems that if a dose, a little larger than what the
normal person receives naturally, is given to diabetcs, it repairs damaged
nerves and vessels and protects the kidneys, eyes and heart from future
damage.  I was in this study and also took part in foru other studies
elsewhere.  It was amazing what it does.  Eli Lilly is looking into adding
the c-peptide in with there synthetic insulin as a therapy to reduce/prevent

Hope this helps.