[IP] FW: Dislodged Infusion Cap on Paradigm

This is the response that I received from Mark Estes at MiniMed.

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Estes [mailto:email @ redacted]
Sent: Friday, June 14, 2002 11:50 AM
To: 'Grimes, Keith'
Subject: RE: Dislodged Infusion Cap on Paradigm

Your question:  Has anyone experienced the problem described on DiabetesNet
regarding a
dislodged infusion cap?

Answer,  No.   As the medical device manufacturer, we must track all product
complaints.  We have never had a complaint on this issue on the paradigm.
It is a tempest in a teacup.   It is not 'easy' to unscrew the reservoir.
There are 2 locking arms that provide a positive detent to locate the
reservoir.  While the connector can be removed when you want it to,  it is
very hard to remove by knocking it against anything.  A knock of that
magnitude would be felt by the user.  A knock of that magnitude would also
be likely to disconnect the connector on any other pump. Leur lock
connectors used on all other pumps also unscrew, don't give a warning when
unscrewed, and deliver insulin when tightened.  Leur locks do not have the
locking tabs, they use friction to secure the connection.   This is a tiny
issue and is not unique to the Paradigm.  Were Diabetes net serving pumpers
instead of bashing MiniMed, they would point out the risks of all connectors
and would not have singled us out.  Please note,  there are many other false
and misleading statements about our products on the D-net site.  We are not
clear on why our products are being attacked or that site's relations with
our competitors.

We do agree with one point in the d-net rant.

If one ever finds that the connector is out of position,  they should
disconnect at the QR before tightening or reconnecting the cap.  Such a
warning in is the training video and in the user guide.  Here is the exact

Improper placement of the reservoir may result in inaccurate
delivery of insulin. Check to make sure the tubing connector
is locked onto the reservoir and the pump case
correctly, before connecting to the infusion set quick
If you have already connected the infusion set quick
release, disconnect BEFORE correcting the reservoir
Once the tubing connector is seated properly, do not partially
unscrew and re-tighten the tubing connector while the
infusion set is connected to your body.

Mark Estes