Re: [IP] Blood Sample Size

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bluejay Adametz" <email @ redacted>
To: <email @ redacted>
Sent: Tuesday, June 11, 2002 7:57 PM
Subject: Re: [IP] Blood Sugar Meters

> I wonder about these super-small sample sizes. Seems to me
> that the smaller the sample size, the more likely you are to
> get a sample that doesn't represent the overall blood sugar
> level. Or, to look at another way, if your sample size was
> really really small, like one molecule, you might or might not
> detect that there's any sugar there at all. So, how small is
> too small?
> Or am I being overly picky/paranoid?

Bluejay: you might be overly concerned.  The more
scientifically/mathematically inclined among us could calculate the number
of glucose molecules in a micro-liter blood sample, based on BG-level (using
the metric mmol/dl units would help).  <exercise left to the reader>  You
can rest assured, there are many, many, many glucose molecules in even the
small sample sizes required for the newer meters.