[IP] Re: (IP) Annoyed with Girl Scout badge requirement

To add to what the very knowledgeable Jim Handsfield said below, the
statistics I've seen say that, by the time type 2 diabetes is diagnosed, only
50 percent of the beta cells are functioning. And, yes, type 2 is
progressive: Since my diagnosis in 1986, I've gone from diet and exericse to
orals to insulin.

Jan and Elvis

<< Type 2 is the result of a broken protein link in the muscle cells.  This
 link normally forms when insulin attaches to the receptor site.  It causes
 the proteins to link up to form a chain which in turn opens the glucose
 gates into the cell.  This is a progressive disease, which is why there are
 varying degrees of severity of type 2, normally dependent on duration.
 The body's response is to produce more and more insulin, and there's some
 indication that the ensuing hyperinsulinemia may have an adverse effect in
 itself.  Eventually - after several years - the islet cells fatigue, and are
 unable to keep up the high production of insulin.  >>