RE: [IP] Re: (IP)Annoyed with Girl Scout Badge Requirement

Brian [mailto:email @ redacted] wrote:

> T2 can be both resistance and lack of production.

Type 2 is the result of a broken protein link in the muscle cells.  This
link normally forms when insulin attaches to the receptor site.  It causes
the proteins to link up to form a chain which in turn opens the glucose
gates into the cell.  This is a progressive disease, which is why there are
varying degrees of severity of type 2, normally dependent on duration.

The body's response is to produce more and more insulin, and there's some
indication that the ensuing hyperinsulinemia may have an adverse effect in
itself.  Eventually - after several years - the islet cells fatigue, and are
unable to keep up the high production of insulin.  In adults, the "average"
type 2 diabetic has had the disease for 13 years at the time of diagnosis,
and the disease is in the end stages.  I don't know the timeline in children
who develop type 2 diabetes, but I suspect it's a more rapid course, just as
type 1 onset tends to be precipitous in children, while adults typically
have a one to three year honeymoon phase with type 1 onset.

The end result, of course, is the same - the body is unable to properly use
carbohydrates and needs help.

Jim Handsfield