[IP] Re: (IP)Annoyed with Girl Scout Badge Requirement

> What is an 11-year-old girl, who happens to have diabetes, and also happens
> to be about 5 pounds overweight, going to think when she starts do
> ing this
> project? She's going to think the diabetes is her fault - AND IT'S NOT!!!

One other concern I had was that since most kids (and probably most
adults, for that matter) don't even realize there ARE two types of
diabetes, it could lead to kids with diabetes being picked on and
accused by their peers of "giving themselves diabetes" by eating too

I'm a former Girl Scout and I'm sure the they didn't mean for this
project to be hurtful in any way; however, I certainly agree that this
particular project could have been better-worded.  I hope your letter
brings the problem to their attention.

> In type 2
> diabetes, the body usually does not completely stop making insulin, but
> does not produce enough insulin for the person to live without taking
> medications to help produce more insulin.
As someone else has pointed out, the primary problem in T2 diabetes
(from what I understand)  is usually insulin resistance, not lack of
insulin (although eventually the ability of the body to produce insulin
may start "wearing out").  Many T2's may actually have abnormally high
blood insulin levels, but the body can't use the insulin properly.
Since insulin is also a fat-building hormone, the high insulin levels
can promote weight gain.  This can start well before diabetes is ever
diagnosed, when blood sugars may actually be normal because the body is
putting out enough extra insulin to compensate for the insulin
resistance.  All of that further complicates the notion that T2 diabetes
is "preventable".  (to be fair to the Girl Scouts, they didn't say that
any of the diseases they mentioned were ENTIRELY preventable.  They said
that some of the factors were beyond our control, while other factors we
CAN do something about).

Also, most T2's would not die without insulin or medications (at least
not immediately, the way a T1 would without insulin -- complications
from high bg's could of course kill a person eventually).  Many in fact
can control their diabetes with diet and exercise alone.

Anyway, interesting issue-