Re: [IP] Cholesterol

> > Annie,
> >
> > My endo actually tells me to keep mine below 180.
> > What he bases this on, I
> > don't know
> Billie, I think that these figures are based on very
> new numbers.  I know that when I quoted the number 100
> to a nurse friend of mine, she was surprised to hear
> that low of a number.  Asking my endo at Mayo, I was
> told that these were the new numbers that they wanted
> to see for diabetics due to the higher risk of heart
> disease for us.  I was still a bit confused as I had
> people telling me that their Dr. was saying 200 was
> OK.  Regards  Cynthia

I think these "new" numbers are probably based upon the National Heart, Lung
and Blood Institutes Expert Panel report on "Detection, Evaluation and
Treatment of High Blood Cholesterol in Adults (Adult Treatment Panel III)
(http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/cholesterol/index.htm) in which
diabetes is identified as a risk factor for Cardio Vascular problem as
important as a prior heart attack. Therefore you should not compare what a
doctor recommends to a diabetic to his general recommendations but should
compare it to what he recommends for heart patients with prior heart