[IP] Re: exercise and the pump

Since I started on the pump at the beginning of this year, my main exercise
activity has been running since I've been training for a marathon. Although,
hiking, walking, swimming and surfing are faves as well.
My CDE also suggested temp basal rates as superior to detaching. I have
found, however, that temp basal rates work well for my long training runs
that last between two and five hours. I reduce my basal rate by 40 percent
starting one hour before the activity and for twice the length of time of the
activity, i.e. six-hour temp basal for three-hour run. For shorter runs, I
find detaching and eating carbs works better. I tried temp basals for shorter
workouts but as I got more conditioned, this would result in lows no matter
what. I find I do have to have some carbs even when detaching because of the
intesity of the running.
As for where to wear the pump if you do have it attached during workouts, I
put in in the middle of my chest underneath my sports bra. Because the bra is
so tight, it is held very securely and comfortably there. I am small-chested,
but I have a large-chested friend who does the same thing and it works fine.
Good luck,
dxed IDDM 9/92, pumping since 1/02