Re: [IP] Re:Cholesterol and niacin

At 10:49 AM 6/9/2002 email @ redacted wrote:
 >Just a quick note to anyone trying niacin or Niaspan to lower cholesterol or
 >improve there HDL to LDL ratio. Niacin can raise bg levels and in some cases
 >quite damatically. It also causes flushing and/or itching. It is best to
 >a baby aspirin 1 to 2 hours prior to taking the niacin. In any case it would
 >be best to check with your Endo or CDE before trying it.

I've been taking 750mg of niacin 3 times a day for about 7 years now. I
would strongly recommend that nobody try it except under a doctor's strict
supervision, since liver damage is a possible side-effect. In my case, I
started out with only 250mg, once a day and slowly built up to my current
levels over about a 6-9 week period. My doctor also strongly warned against
using the "slow-release" or "anti-flush" versions of niacin, since severe
liver damage is much more likely when using these products.

With all that said, I find that niacin lowered my cholesterol levels much
more dramatically than any of the other cholesterol lowering prescription
drugs that are normally used. It is also useful in treating a rare
disorder, where a factor called LP(a) is much too high. This LP(a) factor
was involved in my heart-attack and quintuple by-pass surgery back in 1995,
and niacin is one of the only methods to lower it to more normal levels.
High levels of  LP(a) makes cholesterol much more efficient in laying down
plaque in your arteries, and that's not a good thing. Apparently, very few
labs know how to test for this factor... but, I think my doctor has
contacts with the University of Washington Medical School which has been
involved with the studies of LP(a). See:
for my physician reference, should your doctor wants more information about