Re: [IP] Cataracts

> I am a 49 year old Type 1 diabetic.  I have had diabetes since the age
> of two and having been pumping for two years and two days.  Over the
> past year I have developed serious problems with my vision due to the
> formation of cataracts.  A retinologist who looked at my eyes told me he
> would not consider removing the cataracts until they were much more
> advanced.  I work as a librarian and my inability to see creates a
> problem.  Has anyone dealt with cataracts or had surgery to remove
> them?  I did a quick check of the archive and came up empty-handed.

My Dad had cataracts removed from both eyes last year. For a
long time the doctors were telling him that they weren't
"ripe" yet (whatever that means). What I think they were
waiting for was for him to say he was having trouble doing
things like driving, working in his shop, etc...

The surguries were quick. One eye required some extra
monitoring because of glaucoma, but for neither eye were we at
the hospital more than about 3 or 4 hours.

The results were amazing. The afternoon after the first
surgery we went to the doctors office for a followup. My Dad
was sitting in the big chair at the end of the examining room,
I was sitting about 1/2 way down the room, and the eye chart
was at the far end. He was reading stuff off the chart without
his glasses while I'm squinting and going "wha... what's that

                          - Bluejay Adametz, CFII, A&P, AA-5B

Plush code 2.0: P[bun,bir]/>F[bun,bir] B++ BB  C++ E FF+ I++
!M !MM N++
                O+ Sp+ Sf Takm+rsz ma++
Furry code 1.3: FA6a A-- C- D H+ M- P++++ R+ T+++ W- Z S# RLCT
a++ cvul++
                d+ e+ f++++ h+ i+ j+ p- s#