[IP] Fever, Rash and bgs-help please

     I was wondering if anyone could help me out with this.  My daughter
Claire age 8, pumping one year, DM five years, is sick.  A couple of days ago
she developed a rash and then a fever.  When the tylenol started working to
lower the fever she felt just fine that night.  Her bgs were great all day,
actually running on the low side.
     I took her to the doctor and he said he thought it was Scarlet Fever,
which can develop after strep throat.  He swabbed her throat and said to
start her on a very high dose of penicillin.
     This was Tuesday evening, and as of now, Friday afternoon, they still
can't track down the result from the lab.  Now she is  sick with a high fever
and a bright red rash, which does seem to get less red as the fever goes
down.  Her bgs have been absolutely great, however for the past 3 days.  I am
exhausted from sleep deprivation.
     My question to you guys is, is it possible to have a bacterial infection
with high fever, that doesn't cause bgs to shoot up really high?  The lab
result may never materialize and I have found it impossible to get Claire to
take the penicillin.  She keeps throwing it up, gagging etc.  and I don't
want to continue to go through this torture if it isn't necessary (ie a viral
thing instead).
     If anyone can help me with their views on this, could you please reply
to my home address, as I am on digest mode.  Many thanks.

Barbara, Mum of Claire 8