Re: [IP] unexplained high sugars with no illness

> In a message dated 6/7/02 3:34:30 PM !!!First Boot!!!,
> email @ redacted writes:
>
> << High bg's in the morning combined with moderate insulin
> resistance is
>  usually a sign of a crash in the night. Was yesterday a
>  particularly high activity day?? or did he have an unusual meal for
>  which the bolus may have been too high?? >>
> I did think of that, however we are going on the second day of
> unexplained highs.  So frustrating....  I have not been able to get
> answers from his endo group and now his sugars are still in the 400s
> with large ketones.  I'm taking him to another endo in a few minutes
> and hope he can figure this out.  Here's what we've done:
> *changed bottles of insulin, changed boxes of infusion sets and reservoirs
> *given Humalog by syringe (makes no difference)
> *increased basals
> *lots of fluids
> *changed site 3 times in 24 hours!

Lily's very first pump endo told us in similar circumstances --- "be
agressive with the insulin". It was tough for me to do and a bit
scary to be cranking in double what I thought was "normal". Turned
out to be my first experience with adolescent growth spurts. I
suspect that many endo's are so accustomed to adult patients and kids
on shots that the miss the "fine" details of what happens when an
adolescent is fine-tuned on a pump and then has a change of insulin
needs. People are supposed to need the same amount of insulin every
day, year after year .... right??? NOT! Even if it turns out to be a
virus or something weird like that, if his body wants/needs more
insulin and he doesn't get it, he will have high bg's. You and your
med team will have to figure out why -- if it matters, but the bottom
line is bg control.

Michael