Re: [IP] Cataracts

Susan Stone <email @ redacted> wrote:
>I am a 49 year old Type 1 diabetic.  I have had diabetes since the age
>of two and having been pumping for two years and two days.  Over the
>past year I have developed serious problems with my vision due to the
>formation of cataracts.  A retinologist who looked at my eyes told me he
>would not consider removing the cataracts until they were much more
>advanced.  I work as a librarian and my inability to see creates a
>problem.  Has anyone dealt with cataracts or had surgery to remove
>them?  I did a quick check of the archive and came up empty-handed.

I am a 69 year old Type 1, since age 10. I have been pumping since July
1995. For several years my ophthalmologist kept telling me he was watching
cataracts in both of my eyes, although I was not aware of them. In October
2001 I complained that my vision seemed to be getting worse, and the ophth.
said it was the cataracts. He did one eye around the end of Oct, and the
other eye around the end of Nov.

I have background retinopathy but have never had laser treatments for it. I
also have glaucoma, for which there was one laser treatment for each eye. I
still take drops for the glaucoma.

I get the impression that there are two or more types of cataract surgery,
but I don't know any of the details. For my cataract surgeries I was able to
drive my car 24 hours after each surgery.

Tom Beatson
dx 1942, 506 1995, 508 2000