[IP] Message for Shari Cashman

Good morning, Shari.  Welcome to our list!  I, too, have an 11-year-old daughter -- Katie.  She has had diabetes since September 1997, when she was 6 years old, and has been pumping since August 1999.  We went through quite a struggle with our endo team here because they didn't ever put anyone on a pump younger than a teenager.  Well, we worked through all that and have never regretted it.  The pump lets Katie be a kid again.  No schedules, no shots, and much fewer high/low swings.  It's not perfect, but it really doesn't get in her way.  She clips it to her pants during the day, and hurks it under her pillow at night!  When she's at a friend's house, she just calls me and tells me when they're having a snack so I can guess-timate her bolus.  If she's higher than we like when she gets home, she just pushes a button and gets some insulin -- no shots!  And sports are not a problem either -- basketball, soccer, swimming, skating and sledding are all part of her life now.
Would your daughter like to email Katie?  I'll check with her, but I'm sure she wouldn't mind.  We've mentored a few families here that were new to pumping during the past few years, and she's pretty calm about the whole thing.  Maybe some conversation with another 11-year-old girls would help answer some of her questions.  Let me know.
Blessings,Alaska DebbieMom to Katie, 11, dx'd 9/97 andpumping with "Pumpkin" since 8/99

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com