[IP] Boca Raton, FL , June 13, 2002 - pump support group

            University of Miami Medical School
                Invites you to the

Time: June13, 2002, Thursday at 7:00 p.m.
Place: Whitehall Nursing Home
    Boca Raton

As I write this, I am in Maine, wearing a flannel nightgown and warm socks,
waiting for the 40-degree nighttime temperature to keep me from going to the
I am hoping this finds you all well..

We are lucky that Michael Hays, an experienced school psychologist who is
finishing his doctoral internship in psychology, has agreed to run two more
groups for us, the Diabetes Research Institute..in June and July. He has
joined us in two groups so far, excited about learning from us as well as
leading the groups.

I was just thinking about forgivenessb&a topic that we hear a lot about
lately..(Lots of sinners..)I was thinking about how this can be applied to
diabetes. Archbishop Desmond Tutu, Nobel laureate, who wrote about
reconciliation, says "Forgiveness is an act of self-interest, because
forgivers are released from the bonds that hold them captive to the
injustice." When we are unforgiving about what hurts us (e.g. getting or
having diabetes), we get wounded twice; holding on to the grudge against
diabetes can make us bitter and consumed by active or passive rage, leading
us to have too much anger in our personalities or perhaps ignoring our care
of diabetes.. If we can't forgive ourselves or life or luck from having
diabetes or not taking good enough care, then diabetes wins. There is a
connection between forgiveness and health.Think about where you might need to
get unstuck.

Attached is an article written by Caryn Ross. She was so responsive to
writing down what she felt about her experiences with diabetesb&and she did
so well. The lessons I want us all to learn from her (always the teacher. no
matter how far away I amb&) are not only about writing as a way of clarifying
what we feel and helping us to let go of difficult things.but also to all of
us as parents and professionals that we need to check in to see if what we
are doing works. No doubt the professionals Caryn worked with were caring and
competentb&but perhaps not clicking in to her individuality. I too felt
reading her story, wondering about when I have missed giving people what THEY
need. (A good reminder for us all. no matter what the subject)

Please enjoy coming to group to be rekindled about the difficult job of being
on top of diabetes.