[IP] toddlers and pumps

what troubles you faced with having such a young pumper
and was pumping it worth it to you?  Do you find that children this young are
interested in playing with the pump and the buttons?

Marisa,
My son is 3 and has been on the pump since he was 2.5 years old.  THere is a
huge difference in BG's control with the pump.  We could not go back to MDI.
Regarding acceptance by the toddler I believe it's a matter of communicating
with your child like you would do with an adult.  It is amazing how they
understand everything at this tender age.  I think that most importantly love
and communication are the key for success.  I was very worried about my son
playing with the buttons because he is already a computer wizard but in fact
he "respects" his pump and don't touch any buttons but with me.  He carries
the pump in a fanny pack made for pumps (I think all major pump companies have
their own).  One of his pump pouches has a  two way zipper that could fit a
suitcase lock if necessary.  Luckily I haven't have that need "yet" but if
needed there is a way to lock the pump in the case.  He does play with the
cannula rolling it in his fingers but this is harmless because he does not
pulled it and I haven't have a problem with a bad cannula yet.  It is
challenging to set the basals because it is difficult, but not impossible to
keep your child fasting for long periods of time.  Activity is not a problem
but you should know about that issue very well having a child on the pump.  If
you have any question don't hesitate to ask, you can do it privately if
preferred.

Maribel