Re: [IP] Ring around neck

On 6/2/02 8:15 PM, "Bonnie Osdale" <email @ redacted> wrote:

> I would like to know if anyone has heard of a dark ring around the neck as
> being indicative for diabetes?
> I fear thst my Granddaughter (8yrs) might have diabetes and her parents are in
> complete denial.
> Thanks in advance for your help.
> Bonnie dx 1965 mm 508. Pumping since 1992

My Endo saw the discoloration around my neck also and told me that Vitiligo
is common with diabetes.  So from the  http://www.webmd.com/  site I found:

    * Vitiligo is a condition that affects skin coloration. With vitiligo,
the special cells that make pigment (the substance that controls skin color)
are destroyed, resulting in patches of discolored skin. Vitiligo often
affects the chest and abdomen, but may be found on the face around the
mouth, nostrils and eyes. This condition usually occurs in people with type
1 diabetes. There is no specific treatment for vitiligo. You should use
sunscreen with a SPF of 15 or higher to prevent sunburn on the discolored