[IP] transplants

My last job as a nurse was in the renal dialysis unit of a large metropolitan
hospital. As such I had many patients in different levels of severity and
control of their renal failure.
As transplant is the only option for these individuals that will lead to a
discontinuation of some form of dialysis it was a daily topic.
First they had to meet criteria to be on a transplant list. The status of
their current physical health was top most. The healthier you were over all,
excluding the renal failure, improved your chances of being approved as a
candidate for transplant.
Then, as a new nurse in this specific area,  the curious question "Do you want
a transplant?" For many folks they simply did not wish to be even considered.
They were very healthy otherwise. To them the surgery which is a tough one,
the meds and side effects of those, the fear of the body rejecting the organ (
that was emotionally and mentally terrible for the patient ) and the new
restrictions on their lives out weighed the old restrictions.
For the folks that choose to transplant and were fortunate enough to find a
kidney they were the happiest people I have ever seen. They practically
giggled all the time and every new regimen in their life was worth the freedom
they felt post transplant.
Those that had chosen the non-transplant route and wished to stay on dialysis
life long seemed very content and satisfied with their choice. They were
always thrilled when a fellow dialysis patient received a kidney and suffered
with them if rejection was the outcome.
The only ones who seemed to feel trapped were those who would choose a
transplant but whose health otherwise prevented them from being a candidate.
This did not included pre-existing conditions such as high blood pressure
which was treatable.
The over-riding similarity I saw was for those that had followed their
treatment plans well, took good care of themselves as a whole and their renal
illness specifically. These individuals were able to make a transplant choice.
That is a simplified version of the  process obviously, but the point gets
made the same.
Transplant is not for everyone. It is a personal choice and a life changing
choice. It does not mean one choice is superior than the other in terms of a
person's overall happiness. Maybe that is the key. Your ability to make the
choice for yourself and your future lifestyle. The only losing proposition are
for those poor souls who did not have the ability to choose.
I would hazard a guess that everyone on this list will probably have the
ability to choose in the future...hopefully. Being on this list automatically
puts you in the group that is very concerned with your diabetic health,
overall health and achieving your optimum lifestyle.
Hope this helps some of you who have been questioning the options you see
available now and in the future. Just take care of yourself now so you can
have options open later on.
Pam, mom to Sara and not sure which way we would go right now in her
life....who knows next year, five years or ten years down the line.