Re: [IP] Leg cramps

Jack, the leg cramps can be caused by many things, the one that comes to mind is potassium, when BG is high and ketones are produced potassium leaves the cells and enters the bloodstream, creating a false high level of K+(potassium), when in actuallity your K+ is low, and one of the effects of a low K+ is muscle cramping.  There are many more things that cause cramps but that seems to be the most common cause in diabetes.  Now off the record, one thing that may relieve that is quinine tabs, you can get them at walmart or wherever, but you should probably consult your endo.  Good luck            Scott

>>> email @ redacted 06/01/02 11:13AM >>>
Hi all, i get leg cramps every once in awhile. mainly in the middle of the
night my lower calve right leg. it wakes me right up out of bed. its very
painful like someone twisting the muscle. i have to like get it unstuck then
the next morning it hurts all day. i have neuropathy but my dr says does not
feel its from that. so i am getting a bone scan done monday, so maybe that
will tell me something. i eat well,  i keep hydrated i take vitamins,
including calcium, does anyone know what it could be? thanks for your help
Eileen pumping since 3/01 and loving it! ps dr is doing bone density scan
because i take levoxyl for thyroid disease and sometimes that can make you
have bone loss??