[IP] Anti-Virus stuff explained

  >Hi Sam-
  >I've been living under a rock and appreciate your anti-virus messages.  I
  >haven't had any anti-virus anything for years.  I've had both Dr.Solomon and
  >McAfee and they- uh- lapsed.  Do I have to buy new software and then
  >subscribe to a service, then update online?  How does this work.  Can't I
  >get by just by not opening attachments?

< The above message was sent to our HELP address, but we thought it might
be of general interest. The name has been removed to protect the
innocent  :-)  >

New anti-virus software generally comes with 12 months of free updates, and
you can typically purchase a year's extension to your subscription, when
this runs out. The costs for a renewed subscription are usually minimal,
something like $5-$6. This cost is worthwhile, since playing on the
Internet without antivirus protection is like driving down the freeway at
65mph without: seat belts, fenders, bumpers or a roof. While you may be OK
for awhile, do you really want to take a chance with not only your own
computer health, but that of all your friends and correspondents too??

While just not opening up attachments may work most of the time, there are
smarter viruses out there now. Depending on which software that you use for
reading email, there are some viruses that can run automatically when you
just look at mail. There are also viruses that reportedly lurk in some
web-pages. It just isn't worth taking a chance. Keep your house doors
locked by using anti-virus software and you'll be able to sleep much better
at night.

Sam Skopp